Down here in Nigeria, there is a large quantity of yam produced yearly making it one of the most available food crops for families to consume. This tutorial is to give you a step by step guide on how to use garden egg to make a sauce for yam consumption. It is quite yummy and sweet to mix with yam on a very good work-free day.
INGREDIENTS FOR GARDEN EGG SAUCE
- Garden eggs
- Groundnut oil
- Little salt
- Ugu leaf
- Fresh red pepper
STEPS FOR MAKING GARDEN EGG SAUCE
1. Using a knife, peel and slice the quantity of yam you intend to eat and boil properly.
2. After boiling the yam and ensuring it is properly done, be sure to sieve the water out and keep the pot tightly closed to ensure hotness is maintained or better still, if you have a good food flask, keep the yam in it.
3. Wash the garden egg properly
4. Slice the ugu, fresh red pepper and onions and keep aside
5. Put the washed garden eggs in a pot which is with hot water and on fire.
6. Boil till the garden eggs go softer and changes colour like kind of green a bit (This is a sign of proper boiling for riped garden eggs only). This should take like 10-15minutes.
7. After the garden eggs are done, sieve it and put in a mortar and pound a little. Be gentle to avoid making it look like a grounded tomato.
8. Fry the onions you sliced and then pour in it the grounded garden egg and fry for 6 minutes.
9. With the garden egg on fire, add your spices to add more flavour to the sauce.
10. Pour in the sliced ugu leaf and then stir the entire garden egg sauce properly.
11. Dish out the sauce and yam and have a good meal.
Isn’t this recipe yummy enough to kick start a great day? If you tried this recipe, share your views with us in the comment box below.